Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Conquering 5-year-old Anxieties

Wyatt has a lot of fears...His biggest are food related, mosquitoes (incl. bees and other flying insects), and lately going to bed on his own. He's always been a great sleeper, but during the summer we fell into the habit of lying down with him until he fell asleep. His 5 year birthday was the cut-off and we've been sticking to it for one week. He's been creating lots of ways to try to entice us back in...including, but not limited to, bugs crawling up through the crack between his bed and his wall, the fact that he's crying and we need to help him not cry, aliens, and the most frightening, robbers coming in to cut off his head. I was a bit shocked by this one and had to hold back the laughter. Tonight he came up with his own solution and
taped it to the front door himself...I guess that is one way for him to work out his own fears!

Oh, and he also recently rode a carousel (on the actual moving horse, not just on the bench for older people) and willingly held this worm. Maybe he's not a lost cause?
If only I could get him to eat more of a variety...

3 comments:

Tamsyn Carter said...

Jason was afraid of robbers too and I remember him saying that exact thing "No Robbers Allowed!"

Kristin said...

At least he isn't eating worms :) I love the sign, that makes it official. It is crazy how the mind works at night, imaginations get out of control. C said to me, "It's your fault I'm sad and crying, you're my mom and it's your job to make me feel better." Really he was stalling the bedtime....hmm.

Tammy said...

Such a hard one - those night time fears. Adam has nightmares off and on, and it can be so hard to deal with! Very exciting that he came up with his own solution for the robbers! He's growing up!!